Re: "No local string for ..." errors - j2ee

Hi Michael,

I googled your problem and found a thread on a Sun Java forum
(http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=136&thread=237265) where, at the
very end, someone mentions to remove j2ee.jar from your JAVA_HOME\jre\lib\ext
folder. Obviously, this is a Windows path, but this might be a solution.
On the J2EE 1.3 FAQ (http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/faq.html), there is the
following Q&A entry:
Q3: I have encountered the following error: No local string for
enterprise.deployment. What does it signify?

This occurs if your classpath does not include the following path:

    $J2EE_HOME/lib/locale

A remedy is to use the command line tools provided with J2EE SDK. The command
line tools automatically insert the above path in the classpath.

Perhaps you've found those hints too, and I agree that they don't exactly meet
your situation, but however: Your J2EE server seems to search for a locale
string named "j2ee.startupslow" which probably should reside in the
$J2EE_HOME/lib/locale directory. What about grepping this directory to find out
whether it's there?

Another point is this "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
COM.cloudscape.core.RemoteXaDataSource": This class should be available J2EE
anyway! You'll find it either in one of the J2SDK or of the J2EE libraries, try
grepping the two folder using the following command (from the two installation
directories):
grep -r RemoteXaDataSource *.jar
It will tell you something like "the binary file xyz.jar matches". Make sure
this xyz.jar is on the J2EE classpath.

Don't give up yet! Others will be glad to use the J2EE tools too, I'm sure.

:-)
--
Florian Steinsiepe
florian@steinsiepe.ch