Re: Installing JDK1.4.1

On Monday 12 May 2003 20:28, Michael S Daines wrote:
> I grabbed a Debian Java FAQ from a link here recently and was trying to
> work through it this weekend.  I stumbled, however when I was asked to
> 	apt-get install java2-common

Where does it say that? I've just checked the source in CVS, but cannot find
that statement. Anyway, as already pointed out by others, the package name
is java-common, thus:

    apt-get install java-common

> This package is not found anywhere I know to look.  The next step in the
> faq requires using some *.control files that just don't exist, so I assume
> they're from this package (dummy-package?).

Yes, that is not in the "stable" java-common 0.14, but only in "testing" 0.19
and "unstable" 0.20. I add that comment to the FAQ.

A quick look at the package contents suggest that it is save to install the
"testing"/"unstable" version, i.e. there are no binary files, that may have
incompatibility. It depends on the "equivs" package, and that can be found in
stable/unstable, all with version 2.0.4.

Thanx, for sending the problem,

kind regards,

Egon Willighagen