Re: Sun J2SDK 1.4 installation in debian way

Egon <egonw@sci.kun.nl> wrote:

> > > I decide to install Sun Java SDK 1.4 .bin (.tgz) file. But I want
> > > to preserve all Debian dependencies, so how to install it in a
> > > debian manner, without breaking other packages dependencies.
> >
> ><snip suggestion for manual approach>
> >
> > - Create a dummy package which provides java-compiler,
> > java2-compiler, java-virtual-machine, java1-runtime, java2-runtime
> > and all dependencies should be satisfied.
>
> That's an interesting one... How would one do that?
> Wouldn't it be easier to have an installer package then? Like there is
> for Sun's JDK 1.1?

at http://jopa.studentenweb.org/debian/ , you can find the package
source I use to create blackdown packages. just download the latest .bin
from your nearest blackdown mirror, rename it to 386 instead of 586 (or
use a symlink), put it in the untarred source dir and a simple 'debuild'
will do the rest. (of course you won't be able to sign the package
without changing the Maintainer field)

hope this helps,

--
Joris