Supporting CLASSPATH for /etc/alternatives/java

The policy states that "I /should/ use /etc/alternatives for the name 'java' if they are command-line compatible with the Sun's java program."

First, I suppose that "I" is a typo, and should read "They".

Second, should we specify that they should also treat the environment variables like Sun's java? Specifically, that they should honor the CLASSPATH variable?

At least sablevm is providing an alternative for "java", but does not seem to look at the CLASSPATH. I was thinking about reporting this as a bug, but it would make more sense to clarify that issue in the policy.

If we decide not to require jvms to honor CLASSPATH, I think we should say it explicitely in the policy, in a section about how to make a portable use of the java command.

Daniel

PS: sablevm does not support -classpath either, but requires --classpath (double hyphen). I will bug report this, as it is a policy violation.