Re: Debianized Eclipse 2.1M5

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Takashi Okamoto wrote:

> From: "Caoilte O'Connor" <me@caoilte.org>
> Subject: Re: Debianized Eclipse 2.1M5
> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:55:46 +0000
> > I want to install the easystruts plugin. so i,
> > It's like the gtk widget being used is broken and I can't select an install
> > location, because of it. Does anyone else get this, or have any idea why it
> > might be happening? (mebbe it's something simple?)
>
> I didn't include .eclipseproduct files at /usr/lib/eclipse. It caused
> this error. I fixed and uploaded new packages. Could you try
> eclipse-platform which version is 2.0.99-2.1-M5-0.4?

It works now. You can also add other locations as well now.

> But this cause another problems. New plugins are downloaded into
> /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins directroy. In generally, the application
> should not modifiy /usr/lib directory. Plugins may should be placed at
> /var/lib/eclipse/plugins. If nobody refuse it, I'll change plugins
> directory next release.

There's another problem as well, those dirs are only available for
installation by root. A workaround is to install it in your private
workspace. Just tried that and it seems to work; there're a few
nuissances with this option, but no showstoppers.

There were two other things I noticed this time.
The first is that every time I start eclipse it seems to want me to
"please wait... completing install". My private install only did this
on first install so this may have to do with permissions as well.
The second is that I noticed the java-plugin depends on kaffe. Does this
mean you managed to get eclipse compiled with kaffe? Or is this just a
depends so there's a jre available for developing against?

regards,
Thomas
--

	Recursion: see Recursion