Re: Tomcat 4.1 (unstable) won't install

On Saturday 08 February 2003 12:03, Takashi Okamoto wrote:
> From: David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com>
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.1 (unstable) won't install
> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:23:26 +0000
>
> > Well the problem is libbcel-java,
>
> I confirmed some of test fail with JDK1.4, it may cause error.
> I'm not sure your problem is fixed or not, but could you try bcel at
> here:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~tora/deb/
>
> ?
>
> regards,
>
> Takashi Okamoto

OK, I downloaded the libbcel-java source from the above site, changed
the Build-Depends and Depends lines from 1.3 to 1.4 and it built and
installed and Tomcat seems to run OK.  Obviously whatever tests failed
(where are these tests and which one failed?) does not effect tomcat.

This then brings us to the next question, which is about these dependancies.
Libbcel obviously does not require 1.4, does Tomcat?  Tomcat 4.0.4 does
work quite happily on 1.3 (at least 1.3.1).  Also given the current
debate about meta packages, is it right to insist on a particular package
(the Sun/Blackdown one) at a particular release (1.3 or 1.4).  The Tomcat
package claims to require almost any of the available JREs, but also
needs the 1.4 SDK, which rather instists that you have the 1.4 JRE to go
with it.  Can we not use Jikes or GCJ as the SDK?

David