Re: java in debian

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:

> I have couple of question which. probably, should be in local FAQ.
>
> 1. We do not have any java SE in debian, even in non-free?

Grzegorz Prokopski has created a debian-metapackage called free-java-sdk
in an attempt to bundle various OSS java tools, libs and docs to create a
free java SE in so far it's possible to find OSS-equivalents of the Sun
java SE parts.
There are no other versions available directly that I know of. There were,
at one time, a few installer-packages, but I don't know if they're still
working or even relevant.

> 2. Which proprietary SE implementation are available in unofficial
> deb's?

AFAIK only the blackdown version through their mirrors. There are scripts
that can help install various other versions ie IBM's, Sun's, and other's.
Check the archives for those.

> 3. Which notable SE implementations are not available?

This is probably more arch-dependant a question.
i386 has most, if not all of them. Sparc and PPC follow somewhat closely.
The rest is, I'm afraid, mostly depending on OSS-versions.

> 4. What about J2EE?

Dunno. Haven't worked with it (yet).

> And one question about blackdown java I have installed. Policy tool
> looks ugly with it. Could this be fixed?

regards,
Thomas
--

	- Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.