running eclipse on sid

Hi,
I'm trying to evaluate eclipse on my machine, but have failed to get the
unofficial debs or my own compiled version to run correctly. Has anyone ever
reported the problem I'm having.

Eclipse starts for me, and I can do most things, but certain stuff will hang
it indefinately. It seems to be anything involving a progress bar. ie,
-- building a project
-- shutting down eclipse (which has the side effect of eclipse always starting
with the 'completing install splash')

It's impossible to find the problem and I've scanned various archives without
success, for other people with the problem - I'm guessing it's specific to
Debian/ my JVM setup. I've even tried Blackdown jdk1.3 and 1.4, Sun jdk1.4
and compiling from source myself. Eclipse always hangs as soon as I try to
quit or compile something (at the exact point where it completes compiling
and the progress bar completes).

I'm running i386 sid, and have java running fine for everything else (inc.
tomcat4).

any ideas or suggestions appreciated,