Locale Issue on Debian/JBoss/Tomcat/SunJVM

Hi guys, I was just wondering whether anybody has encountered a similar
situation to the following....

We have an application we developed that we run on JBoss. When we ran it on
a Debian machine it seemed to ignore the machines locale (en_NZ) and use US
date formats instead.

The odd thing being that a Redhat machine with exactly the same locale
settings, and the same JBoss/JDK installation worked correctly though. A
W2K and a Solaris machine also worked correctly (same JBoss installation
and Sun JDK version).

Debian itself was using the local date formats correctly eg with 'date +%x'
from bash, and JBoss on Debian would show the correct date format if the
user region and language were hard coded into $JAVA_OPTS in the run.sh
startup script.
ie: JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Duser.region=NZ -Duser.language=en"

Is this a case of Sun not testing their JVM quite well enough on Debian?
(if at all)

Or have we set up our locale incorrectly? (details below)

Software Versions:
Debian Woody x86
jboss-3.0.3_tomcat-4.1.12 (downloaded from jboss.org)
Sun's j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586 (the non rpm install)

Locale set by 'LANG=en_NZ' in /etc/environment (only line present).

Output of 'locale':

LANG=en_NZ
LC_CTYPE="en_NZ"
LC_NUMERIC="en_NZ"
LC_TIME="en_NZ"
LC_COLLATE="en_NZ"
LC_MONETARY="en_NZ"
LC_MESSAGES="en_NZ"
LC_PAPER="en_NZ"
LC_NAME="en_NZ"
LC_ADDRESS="en_NZ"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_NZ"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_NZ"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_NZ"
LC_ALL=

Has anybody else noticed that or tried to confirm it?

Cheers
Anton