policy proposal: java2 alternative

Package: java-common
Version: 0.14

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:

> As the policy maintainer I would like you to file this as a bug
> to java-common too. It helps me to remember it.

Done. Going into minimal snipping mode due to that.

> On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 11:54:08AM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> > I'm sponsoring a (contrib) package that depends on
> > java2-runtime. I (as a user of the package) will have to install the
> > Blackdown VM to make it work, but I still want other java programs to
> > use Kaffe because it's free. Pointing the "java" alternative to Kaffe
> > will break the package, though ...
>
> True. But if you already have installed the non-free version why use
> the free one? Do you think it is better/faster or?

I want to avoid running non-free software as much as possible. As I
said my only reason for installing java2-runtime was so I could
sponsor a package. That does not mean I want to run it all the time
due to Java daemon processes (which work with kaffe)! I guess at least
some users are in a similar situation: they have java2 installed
because something they can't avoid needs it, but want to use it only
when absolutely necessary.

It's the same with, say, acroread and xpdf: I normally use the latter
with all documents, and only if it can't render a document correctly,
resort to the non-free alternative.

That was the "political" side. There is also technical reason: My
freenet-unstable package is in main. I expect most of its users run it
with kaffe. So to test it better, I want to use that, too, not some
less-used alternative.

--
Robbe