Re: CLASSPATH and Jikes

Hi Robert,

On Saturday 30 March 2002 12:10, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Stefan Rücker <s.ruecker@gmx.de> writes:
> > [...] but then you have your compiler not running out of the box
> > because many people use a big variety of libs for their programs
> > (just think about xml or all the apache libs).
>
> Indeed, but a compiler can't take all installed libs (some of which
> may not be in Debian packages, or not even in publically-readable
> locations) into account.

But how can you compile your programs without having all at compile time
needed libs in publically-readable locations?  Well you are saying that not
all libs available in deb's that is right but I thought it should be a brute
force scan to retrieve all jar's that are available.

> Compare that to the C compiler: the JRE's java.* implementation is
> like libc, which one expects to get linked automatically. But you
> wouldn't expect gcc to scan for all libraries/headers on install and
> search/link all of them on use.

I was just thinking of a simple way to set up my classpath so I made this
suggestion. But if it is not common to do somthing like that, then I have to
live with that. And maybe collecting all libs might not lead to the expected
result, because of combining libs in different versions with the same classes
in it. Then you need a script that checks the consistency of the classpath
and warns when there are classes more then one time in the classpath .... But
that can't be the job of the package that installs jike. So now I see my
suggestion was a little bit foolish, wasn't it?

bye,
Stefan