Java software comes bundled with its own jars.

I would like to package Apache Jakarta/XML software.
Of course, I have got to do it from sources, either releases or CVS.

Surprise... They are putting jars in CVS!

These jars are not only needed to build but also to run.

If you install some of the software, you'll find your self installing
multiple ant, xalan, xerces, etc jars.

My question is:
Is this a general Java tradeoff or just a kinda laziness?

I am new to Java. I have a C/CVS/Autotools background.
Each Gnome application using XML is not carrying its own version of
libxml.