sun-jdk1.4-installer

Hello everyone.  I'm fairly new to this list, and I'm badly
over-saturated with mailing list subscriptions, so please be patient
with me.  :)

While trying to build debian packages of OpenNMS recently (we can talk
about that in another thread if you prefer), I ran into the standard
"Debian has no jdk1.4 problem" though I wanted to make my package
correct by depending on a java2-runtime.  So, I built my own wrapper to
turn the Sun j2sdk1.4 into a .deb.  I based some of the wrapper work on
bits from the old ibm-jdk-installer package, and from some script tricks
in the qmail-src and daemontools-src packages.  Seeing that many others
could probably use such a thing, and I could use some good feedback and
suggestions, I would like to offer up my work.

Quick summary: the sun-jdk1.4-installer package requires you to download
the Sun linux j2sdk archive (since Sun requires you to do so and it's
hard to automate around that), and it provides a "build-sun-jdk14"
script that does the rest for you.  It unpacks the archive, moves some
files around, then rolls it into a .deb and even prompts you to install
it, then cleans up after itself.  The j2sdk1.4 package it creates
provides java-virtual-machine, java2-runtime, and java2-compiler, which
should satify the depends of several other (potential) packages.

You can download it from:  http://debian.medvantx.com/ under woody or
sid-- one is for 1.4.0.03 and the other for 1.4.1.01.

Feedback appreciated.  Thanks!

-Tony

p.s.  After building and using this, I ran into the mpkg-j2sdk.  I
haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, so maybe someone can tell me if
it's already much better than my work, and if it's going to make it into
unstable sometime soon.