Re: Suggestion for javadoc building

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:59:26PM +0200, Torsten Knodt wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > most libraries have api docs created with javadocs. When calling javadoc,
> > links can be given to link to the used api's. I think there should be a
> > central registry for all javadoc documentations installed. For this, I
> > suggest a directory which links to all api doc directories. During javadoc
> > creation, these directories could simply be included in the package building
> > scripts. The packages using these links, then also have to depend and
> > build-depend on the packages offering the used api docs. Later this can be
> > automated by a wget spider or something else.

gjdoc doesn't currently support -link, although hopefully it will in the
future (If there are any java programmers listening who aren't busy at
the moment...).
This might not be easier for package scripts as the maintainers would
have to build-depend on each -doc package and also -link dir, where each
api doc directory is listed (javadoc looks for a single package-list
file in each directory). However, having everything in a central
location and all links pointing there might be a good idea, especially
from the user POV.

I guess work will have to be done on policy after gjdoc is working and
in Debian, but one question I have is how should interlinking java
packages dependencies be handled?
We will have a general java api documentation package generated from
classpath sources. Libraries could then build javadoc linking against
this. Then, when a user wants the documentation for one library, will he
also have to download the entire core java api docs and api for any
linked libraries? or is it appropriate to just Recommend the other
packages and have broken links? or are there any better solutions?

| Mark Howard               cam.ac.uk   mh344@ |
| http://www.tildemh.com    tildemh.com    mh@ |