Re: [michaelc@lindows.com: [Matthias.Pfisterer@web.de: Re: autobuilders and java]]

Michael Cardenas <michaelc@lindows.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, I tried to compile Limewire with Jikes and it
> failed. So does gcj.
>
> I've been asked to break these compilation bugs down into small test
> programs and write bugs for them, but my Java is not all that great so
> it's going to take some time.

Do you have more specific errors? Perhaps people here are able to help
dissecting the problem.

FWIW, gcj won't be able to compile a swing app yet, will it? Jikes may
be with the help of Java2 jars (i.e. blackdown). All in all, we
probably won't see limewire in main for some time...

[...]
> >Unfortunately, my sponsor was unable to compile it, and pointed out
> >that the qutobuilders won't be able to either.

If you go the usual route and distribute Java bytecode in a
"Architecture: all" binary package, there is no need for the
autobuilders to jump in. Only if you compile to native code do we
need them -- and that's probably some time off...

--
Robbe