Use jar in Tomcat4 Webapp

Hi,

I am trying to create a webapp which depends on Xalan2
(xalan-2.0.1.jar). So I packed it into WEB-INF/lib . Wenn deploying the
application, the logfile says that the application (including this JAR
file) was deployed somewhere under /usr/share/tomcat4/work/localhost/
(btw: why not in /usr/share/tomcat4/webapps ?) .

Strange: I always get NoClassDefFoundErrors for
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException when I try to run it.

Even more strange: If I copy (or symlink) this JAR to
/usr/share/tomcat4/common/lib then everything is ok.

The manual says, that the classloader for webapps always search the
web-app specific classes in WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib/*.jar and
then the normal searchpath for J2SDK applications.

Why can Tomcat not reach the classes in xalan-2.0.1.jar in my webapp???

Regards, Roman