Re: Serious problems with Java & threads on stable & unstable... (?)

On a 2.4 kernel, a combination of ulimit and /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max is your limit for "regular" processes. For threads, additional limitations may be imposed by:

- the JVM. Prior to 1.3, the Sun JVM's assumed a 2MB stack, imposing a hard limit of 1024 threads.

- your threads implementation. From the top of my head, prior to around 0.7, LinuxThreads also hard-coded a 2MB stack for threads

Note that whenever the JVM can't create a new thread, you'll get an OutOfMemoryError, regardless of whether that's due to a lack of memory, or permissions, or thread resources. (Again, my only experience is with Sun's JVMs).