Re: Best way to install JDK 1.4 on woody?

Actually i think the choice is between a .bin and a .rpm.  I've never
tried alien (or rpm), but always had success with the .bin (which is
really sort of a self extracting .tar.gz as far as i can tell).  Simply
chmod +x  the bin file and then execute it.  I usually put the resulting
dir in /usr/local/share, but you can put it anywhere you like.  All
that's left is to chown (and/or maybe chgrp) that j2sdk1.4.0 directory
and add the path to it to some environment variables (JAVA_HOME and
j2sdk1.4.0/bin to your PATH).

	good luck,
		~c