Re: SUN java

HI,

> my company is starting to use debian as server to develop java, however
> my boss noticed that there is no SUN j2ee/j2sdk (official or not)
> 1.3/1.4 release for debian.

AFAIK there's no debian-package of the official Sun J2EE/J2SE, but that
doesn't mean you can't install the rpm or the tar.gz package.

> For now, I'm trying to convince him about the goodness of blackdown
> implementation, so we'll start a test using it.

I recall Sun once using the Blackdown-version for distribution as their
Linux-version of the JDK...

> However I looked (by google) a debian package of sun implementation, but
> I didn't find it.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find it, if any?

See above.

> I think debian should be provided by these (unofficial) package, because
>  some companies want use the official java sun, so they install a
> non-debian distro only for it.

Which is ridiculous because the officially provided package from Sun
installs fine on a Debian machine. And IMHO the Blackdown JDK is a
better choice. It tends to get a bit more testing (on more platforms) and
some bugfixes found after a release from Sun is already made.

regards,
Thomas
--

	Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin
	As self-neglecting.

	 -- William Shakespeare