Kaffe and Java2

Hi,

I just noticed in the Debian Java FAQ that it says that Kaffe is not
going to be implementing Java2 (for legal reasons).

I don't think that's correct.  I want to see as much of the Java2 APIs
implemented as possible in Kaffe.  It will probably be a long time
before we have all of Java2 implemented, because Sun threw everything
and the kitchen sink in there.

Sure, Sun's lawyers put some silly, confusing, unenforceable stuff in
their legal wording accompanying their docs, but I don't think it's
worth repeating.  In fact, I think it's important to take a stand on the
legal issues from time to time, and not just roll over dead everytime
somebody starts playing lawyer games.  It would be counter-productive
and really bad for Sun to even think about trying to enforce such a
clause against a free software project -- and I doubt that there is even
a basis for it in copyright law (although the DMCA is quite scary in how
drastically it scales back fair use rights).  However, Sun could
probably stick anybody with unrelated patents if they really wanted to.

I'll gladly accept patches for free implementations of Java APIs that
match the Java2 spec (but technically, we're not Java, since that's a
registered trademark of Sun, and neither are we Java2).  Kaffe already
has some Java2 stuff implemented in it.

Cheers,

 - Jim