Re: CLASSPATH and Jikes

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 09:59:28PM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:

> Debconf should be used to allow the user to select the priority
> of the classes that jikes should check for. IOW, something like
>
> [1] - Kaffe
> [2] - Other [admin enters path]
> [3] - IBM JDK
> [4] - Sun.
> etc...
>
> I looked over the Java policy and it seems to imply that user
> should be able to use a compiler out of the box as the package
> should find the installed classes.

I would make the default choice /usr/share/java/libgcj.jar from the
libgcj2 package since it includes more of the standard libraries then
the Kaffe classes (disclaimer: I am a GNU Classpath developer and libgcj
is based on GNU Classpath). libgcj is the runtime of gcj (GNU Compiler for
Java) which contains not only the jar file with byte code for the standard
libraries, but also .so files with those standard classes precompiled to
native code.

Note that an older version of GNU Classpath is packaged with kissme in
the kissme-classpath package which puts the standard classfiles in
/usr/share/kissme/classpath/.

Both libgcj.jar and the kissme/classpath/ dir can be used as bootclasspath
for jikes. Both those packages are in main.

Cheers,

Mark