Re: Can not change Tomcat4 to listen to :80

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 07:04:21PM +0100, Guy Geens wrote:

> Arnaud> Thank you, I'll try ipchains, but I didn't know apache was set
> Arnaud> root (thought www-data).
>
> Apache starts as root, in order to bind to port 80. It also opens some
> log files in /var/log/apache with root privileges IIRC.
>
> This `master' process spawns a number of request handlers which drop
> privileges before serving requests.
>
> If you do `ps ax', you can see this: one apache process will have user
> `root', while the others are all listed as www-data.
>
> Tomcat cannot use this principle, because a Java program has no way to
> change the UID.

Though at some point, Tomcat 4.x should be able to do this through a
native code wrapper:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon/PROPOSAL.html?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/html
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon/src/docs/daemon.html?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/html

--Jeff