Re: Java FAQ needs updating for GCJ

Per Bothner wrote:

> 2.1 full-fledged Java development
>
> Pleae add:
>
> * GCJ (except for GUI application - AWT is still not usable).

Is this due to awt peers not being available for GCJ?

> 2.3.1.5 Why is (some) free software not implementing Java2?
>
>    Sun has made public statements in connection with their legal
>    strategy in the Sun-Microsoft lawsuit that indicate that the company
>    considers the published specifications of Java2 to be intellectual
>    property that can not legally be used by persons involved in efforts
>    to create Java2 clean-room implementations.
>
> I don't believe that is the case - could someone provide a reference?

I believe your disbelief is justified.  Case in point --

The TowerJ bytecode-to-native compiler makes heavy use
of published Java 2 specs, and was for many years a clean
room implementation.  Not only did Sun never sue them,
but Sun eventualy granted Tower a source license.

The above intellectual property assertion may be due to
Sun claiming in the trial that only Sun has a right to
modify the specs (implying Microsoft can't), but modifying
is a lot different than attempting to faithfully implement
the specs.  Sun has always looked favorably on those who
do the latter and, in fact, has always expected optimized
JDK implementations to be developed for various platforms.

Rick
--
                  Rick
                  Lutowski