Re: Can not change Tomcat4 to listen to :80

Arnaud> Thank you, I'll try ipchains, but I didn't know apache was set
Arnaud> root (thought www-data).

Apache starts as root, in order to bind to port 80. It also opens some
log files in /var/log/apache with root privileges IIRC.

This `master' process spawns a number of request handlers which drop
privileges before serving requests.

If you do `ps ax', you can see this: one apache process will have user
`root', while the others are all listed as www-data.

Tomcat cannot use this principle, because a Java program has no way to
change the UID.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>