Re: "some text".equals(someString)

 --- "E.L. Willighagen" <egonw@sci.kun.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> can anyone tell me the difference (performance etc) between:
>
> 1. String someString = "text"
>    if ("some text".equals(someString)) {};
>
> and
>
> 2. String someString = "text"
>    if (someString.equals("some text")) {};

Hi

I don't know if there's a difference in performance (and it will
certainly depend of the JVM implementation).

Personnaly I use the first alternative as it permits null values for
someString without throwing a NullPointerException. It's also possible
to have someString that's not declared as a String (you don't need to
cast it, and hence avoid a ClassCastException).

I hope I answered your question...

    Francois.

=====
Francois BOTTIN
--
    "How kind," the PFY sighs. "But where will I go?"
    "Somewhere where they know nothing about computing...