Re: request for bug filing on all packages uses /usr/share/java/repository

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 06:35:58PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 07:12:29PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:43:54AM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Amid all the arguments I've lost track of exactly why
> > > /usr/share/java/repository causes a problem for building things. Can
> > > somebody explain to me why it's worse than, say, /usr/include or
> > > /usr/lib?
> >
> > The lack of versioning support is the problem. One other problem is that
> > the hader definition and implementation are located on the same place.
> > It is the same as if /usr/lib and /usr/include was located in the same
> > place.
>
> OK. I now see why it applies to libraries, but don't see why it's a
> benefit for standalone programs (where multiple versions can't be
> installed via dpkg simultaneously anyway, and where the .jars aren't
> intended for external use). I suppose it's a little neater.

Well if it truly is a standalone program with no public functions you
can do this. But in most cases you can actually use functions from
stand-alone programs even if the original author did not intend that.

There is one more reason and that is that in some time in the future we
will have some kind of automatic classpath building script (prototypes
do already exist) and then it will be simpler if all jars is in the same
directory. I think so anyway. :)

Regards,

// Ola

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |