RE: Tomcat 3.3 upgrade?

>ist it possible to perform a "quick update" to tomcat 3.3.x???

It will be good for users, since tomcat 3.3 is replacing Tomcat 3.2.x
as Reference Implementation of Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1.

>i found the follwing in a mailing-list (after some hours of searching)

>Your email does not indicate which version of Tomcat you are using,
>hence I am assuming that you are
>using Tomcat 3.2.x. Now, as far as I know the issue below is a
>result of
>a "faulty" classloader
>implementation in Tomcat 3.2.x and earlier.
>
>I've seen emails indicating that with Tomcat 3.3.x this will be
>resolved. You might want to have a
>look at the latest Tomcat 3.3.x (beta?) release and its documentation.
>Allegedly, from Tomcat 3.3
>onwards, Tomcat will ignore the (system) CLASSPATH completely, but will
>offer a more sophisticated
>classloader mechanism.

Yes, the jar should be installed into 3 differents java subdir.

>or is there a .deb package???

Nota also that tomcat 3.3 could be done very FHS, as I do
for my RPM, you could find at :

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3/rpms/

Take a look at the note there :

Tomcat 3.3 RPM is more FHS compliant and run as nobody by default

many RPM enhancements from suggestion from Keith Irwin , Nicolas Mailhot and
Jun Inamori.
A big thanks to all of them
the RPM is more FHS compliant :
bindir is in /etc/tomcat/conf
confdir is in /etc/tomcat/conf
logdir in /var/log/tomcat
workdir in /var/spool/tomcat
webapps and libs and modules in /var/tomcat
ajp12.pid in /var/spool/tomcat
tomcat run as nobody and the /usr/bin/tomcat command enforce it .
You could use /usr/bin/dtomcat instead to run tomcat under your
own account but be carefull in that case with new files access.

TOMCAT_HOME is now /etc/tomcat and TOMCAT_INSTALL is /var/tomcat.

a config file is available for init.d script tuning, tomcat.conf, in
/etc/tomcat/conf

no external parser is required since crimson (jaxp 1.1) is now included

Warning, now webapps lives in /var/tomcat instead of /etc/tomcat.
So you should take care of setting docBase to /var/tomcat/webapps/yourapp
since the default goes to /etc/tomcat/webapps/yourapp instead (cf
etc/apps-examples.xml).
ouf... a decent RPM matching FHS and running as nobody for security purpose