Re: kaffe status

Adam Heath wrote:

Well, -classpath(jdk), --classpath(gcj).

It appears to me that gcj supports both -classpath and --classpath
equally.  It does not support the newer -cp option.

However, gij does not appear to support either option, though it does
support a CLASSPATH environment variable. It also supports the
-jar option.

Having to specify -C to compile to .class.

You were complaining about $(JAVAC).  I don't understand what is the
problem is with JAVAC="gcj -C".

I've set up the Kawa configure+Makefiles so that if you configure
--with-gcj not only do the .java files get compiled to a .jar using
gcj -C, but they also get compiled to a kawa-VERSION.so and a kawa
executable.  If you don't specify --with-gcj the default for $(JAVAC)
is "java", though you can of course also use "jikes" - or "gcj -C".

The goal is to just update an alternative, and be able to use gcj.

Since I don't know how /etc/alternatives mechanism works, I can't
help you there.  But in the worst you need to do is write a script:
 #!/bin/sh
 exec /usr/bin/gcj -C "$@"