Re: policy proposition for javadoc installation

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:
> Why not use /usr/share/doc/javadoc instead?
> I think it a better place, easier to find and more consistent.

Ola,

  The precedent is for /usr/share/javadoc.

  Consider /usr/share/man and /usr/share/info. Are there others?

  The directories under /usr/share/doc/ are all associated with
  particular packages (counter examples?), whereas the
  /usr/share/javadoc, /usr/share/man, and /usr/share/info directories
  contain a certain type of documentation for groups of packages.

  p.s. A "general" name of apidoc would be bad. We'd only do that if
  we moved all of /usr/share/man and /usr/share/info in there;
  otherwise what would be the point? And doing so would be like
  putting a square peg into a round hole. Let's stick to javadoc.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!