Java packages using JNI

Okay, has anyone actually made a Java library package that uses JNI?

I'm preparing a package with wrapper classes and a corresponding foo.so.  I'm
wondering where each of these should go.

As for the wrapper classes, my current plan (after being told on IRC never to
mention the fucking repository again - hi adam :) ) is to put them in a
versioned jar in /usr/share/java.  Not that it's particularly clear what to
do with the versions, the symlinks or the actual package names, given that
backward compatibility is not well defined at all, unlike so.x.y.z versions.

Then there's the question of what to do with foo.so.  Options I can see are:

1) Put it in /usr/lib.
2) Put it in /usr/lib/foo.

Option (1) has the disadvantage that it clutters up /usr/lib.  And it has the
advantage that the java VM can find it without having to pass custom library
paths on the command line.

Which is the preferred solution here?

Next question is versioning.  If one is versioning the jar, surely the
corresponding foo.so needs to be versioned also?  I'm not particularly well
versed on the distinction between modules and ordinary shared libraries; is
this possible and/or desirable?

Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
	Ben.

--

Ben Burton
benb@acm.org  |  bab@debian.org

A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.
	- Oscar Wilde