Re: GCJ Thought Balloon

    >> If I am not mistaken, it's possible to use GCJ to compile
    >> .class files as well as raw .java files. So a package could
    >> ship with .class files and, if GCJ is available, compile them
    >> into an .so.

    PB> It is possible.  Currently, you get better-optimized code and
    PB> potentially better debuging information if you compile from
    PB> Java source.

Ah, well, that's a good point.

    PB> Another disadvantage is that what is installed depends on the
    PB> order in which you installed package - unless installing gcj
    PB> compiles previously-installed packages to native.

That's actually what happens when you install a new Emacs, now, in
Debian.

    PB> Another thing to consider: Should gcjh-generated .h files be
    PB> installed?

I dunno! Should they?

    >> For Freenet the compiled .so is about 3Mb, so this would
    >> actually be quite enough to worry about on my side.

    PB> In that case the clean solution would seem to be make two
    PB> packages: freenet and freenet-with-gcj (or whatever the naming
    PB> convention would be).

Right. But that'd mean 2 Debian packages for every Java package that
-could- be compiled to native code with GCJ.

I'm just thinking that we've got a fairly elegant (and functional)
java-policy as it stands right now. It seems like a step backwards to
have a plethora of compiled-for-this and compiled-for-that Java
packages. If we could make sure that the problem of having M Java
platforms and N Java packages had an M + N rather than an M * N
solution, I'd be pretty happy.

Then again, M + 2*N (bytecode + native) might not be that bad,
expecially if there's a tradeoff in terms of performance and
installation speed.

Maybe we need to include some info about GCJ in the Java policy.

~ESP

P.S. While I'm on the policy note, it appears that libgcj2 doesn't
provide java-virtual-machine.

--
Evan Prodromou
evan@debian.org