IBM Java 1.3 - Anyone get to work?

I'm trying to get DB2 to install and run on my Debian box.  One of the
programs it needs is java.  IBM is highly recommending that you install and
run their version of java.  I have pulled down the .rpm for it and
installed it both as a rpm and as a deb (not at the same time - also have
tried the tar file).  Anyway, no matter which way I install it. running any
programs that use java (i.e. db2cc) complain that libjava.so can not be
found.

I have added the path to /etc/ld.so.conf where libjava.so is found, but to
no avail.  I also tried adding symbolic links to the .so files to
/usr/local/lib.   This did not work either (I did run ldconfig).

Please let me know how you got it to work.

Thanks,