Re: org/w3c/dom duplicates in lib-dom-java and lib-openxml-java,libxerces-java!

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:57:13AM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:

> But if they are different implementations they should not use the
> same namespace... (see below)

But they implement the same interface (DOM in this case) and the XML for
Java standard says that the DOM interface classes have to be in the package
org.w3c.dom - so there is no way around this.

> It was not my intention to seperate interface from implementation, but it is
> not correct that two implementations use the same namespace...

Yes it is if they implement the same specification. Other examples might
be SAX (org.w3c.sax) and EJB (javax.ejb): Each EJB container will
provide all required classes in the javax.ejb package. The classes for
interfaces might be identical for all containers but at least the exception
classes will differ - so it is very difficult to put the common classes in
another JAR/package ans share them between all implementations.

--
Stefan Gybas