Re: Java libraries and proposal.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 02:06:33PM -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> However I like the idea of a Class-path: entry in the MANIFEST, to list
> dependencies by name.  If an application is built as a .jar, it can have a
> Class-path: too.  Then the linking mechanism is similar to ELF shared
> objects, and can easily be managed in parallel with classes natively
> compiled by gcj.  (I'm imagining utilities like `ldd' that would find and
> print all the dependent jar files for a Java application.  That would be
> so nice to have now.)

I have nothing really to add here, but this is exactly the sort of thing I
was thinking of.  If only I could have expressed it this well and precisely.

Until someone can think of a method of dynamic library management that at
least /looks/ like it could handle the complex problems of versioning and
the overhead of a large number of libraries better than current best
practices it's best to stick with them and not be led by whatever the
reference implementation of Java does even when that behavior is not in
the spec.

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.