Re: java library installation issues

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

> I think we'll need a way to disable the built-in search path except
> for libgcj.jar.

I'm concentrating on the default paths, for installed software.
We will need flags to override the builtin paths, for example
for building libgcj itself, or for building other Java libraries
before libgcj.jar has been installed.  But that is not a "policy"
iossue - it is mostly of concern to gcj implementors, I think.

> I personally prefer to keep using $libdir, since (1) that is the GNU
> standard, and (2) it doesn't require any Linux-specific configuration
> in the libgcj configure script.

Ok.  I guess it makes sense to keep it simple - i.e. .so files get
installed in /usr/lib.  If at some point we end up with tons of
Java packages that want to install .so-s there, then we might consider
a separate directory.  But until then I agree let's not worry about it,
and let's just stick top $libdir.

> The `L.so' in this case should probably follow the naming scheme we
> adopted for the `.so' files that Class.forName will automatically try
> to load.  That will make it so that the linker and Class.forName will
> agree -- it won't matter to the end program whether a class is loaded
> at runtime or at link time.

Do you have a write-up of this?
--
	--Per Bothner