Re: questions about kaffe

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 09:09:42AM -0500, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> After pondering the kaffe package, the Debian Java FAQ, and the BTS for a
> while, I still have a number of questions, and hope this list can provide
> answers or advice.
>
>   Why doesn't kaffe have the compiler (kjc) included in it?

The Kopi compiler is not part of the Kaffe project directly but merely
distributed with it. KJC is a project unto itself and should be packaged
as such. Someone wrote me about their intent to package KJC but I don't
know the status of that.

>   Why is /usr/lib/kaffe/bin/kjc in the kaffe package, but the jar file it
>     seems to depend on, (kjc.jar) is not?
>
>   Ditto for /usr/lib/kaffe/bin/kopi.

Sloppy work on my part.

>   If kaffe has no binaries in /usr/bin, then how is it distinguished from
>      a library package?  If not, then why isn't it called something like
>      kaffe-dev?

/usr/bin/kaffe is in /usr/bin, the rest of the binaries are hooked up via
the alternatives mechanism. I guess I could put everything in /usr/bin as
"kaffe-java, kaffe-jar, ... etc ..." and then hook the alternatives to
those but I don't see much sense in that.

>   Why are the binaries for kaffe not in /usr/bin?  Is it because there
>      are no man pages for the individual binaries (except kaffe itself)?

See above.

>   To be conformant with Debian Java policy, is it necessary to make links
>      between the real locations of the jar files in the kaffe package and
>      /usr/share/java?

I don't know. Really Klasses.zip isn't useful for anything except Kaffe
so I don't think its really a "share/java" type of thing.

>   The kaffe source package has a number of options to support a kaffe
>      installation that coexists with a javasoft installation, i.e., one can
>      add modify the names of all of the kaffe binaries using
>      --program-prefix, --program-suffix, --program-transform-name.
>      Is it not desirable to use these?

I haven't ever tried to use these. If you outline your thinking I'll try
to take a look at it.

Ean Schuessler                                 A guy running Linux
Brainfood, Inc.                            A company running Linux
*** WARNING: This signature may contain jokes.