Re: Tomcat 3.3 / 4.0 ? When?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:18:26AM +0100, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> In tomcat 4.0 everything live under /var/tomcat4, but on my
> Tomcat 3.3 rpm, I follow FHS by moving dirs in correct location.
> You should really take a look at my spec file and patchs to
> make Tomcat FHS compliant :)

I think the Tomcat 3.3 package is - and has been for at least half a year -
FHS compliant, which directory should be moved to a different place?
/var/tomcat4 doesn't look FHS compliant to me, that should be
/var/lib/tomcat4 because package specific subdirectories are not allowed
in FHS 2.2:

<quote>
Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
/var.  Such directories should only be added if they have some system-
wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list.
</quote>

I also think that Tomcat's work directory (for compild JSP pages) belongs
to /var/cache and not /var/spool:

<quote>
5.5  /var/cache : Application cache data

5.5.1  Purpose

/var/cache is intended for cached data from applications.  Such data is
locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation.  The
application must be able to regenerate or restore the data.  Unlike
/var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss.  The data
must remain valid between invocations of the application and rebooting
the system.
</quote>

> Note also that I use a tomcat user to make tomcat run, for
> security reasons :)

Fine, and the Debian package uses the same user as Apache (default:
www-data), also for security reasons :)

--
Stefan Gybas