Re: Classpath and versioned libraries for Debian-Java

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:46:53AM +0100, Max Kellermann wrote:

I'm sorry. I think I forgot to mail to the list. Thanks for getting the
thread back on the list. :)

> On  0, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> wrote:
> > I'm a bit curious. In what way is the java extension mechanism useless?
>
> The extension mechanism is only there to solve one problem: setting
> classpath. It does not care about all the other stuff I mentioned. What
> should I write in my Applet's Manifest file - xerces.jar, expat.jar,
> crimson.jar, or what?

I think so yes. I have not tested it though. Maybe it solves that
issue, and maybe not. Anyway this is a java2 thing so we have to make
a wrapper (or similar mechanism) for java1.

> > I have a question to you all. Should we allow the same interface in
> > different packages? It seems to create strange conflicts but sometime it
> > is necessary, or? What do you all think?
>
> That's also one thing I was thinking about. If we say we don't include DOM
> and SAX in Xerces, it's more clean IMHO, but much more work when packaging.
> We can't just call 'ant jar' to create the .JAR files, we have to create
> them ourselves. I think it's ok to have Xerces include DOM, although it's
> not the Best(tm) way.
>
> > Do you think the above description is covered in the proposed policy. It
> > should
> > be but I'm not sure if it is clear enough.
>
> Well, I think it's not fully covered, but it's possible with your proposed
> policy. It's not about replacing the policy, the policy is good, it's about
> adding to the policy.

I did never ment any replacing. I just curious if this was clear enough ot
not. Apperently not. I'll try to figure out how to make this clear enough. :)

> > > - library F and library G may both provide the sub-library H, of the same
> > >   version - they may both be installed, but not in the same classpath at the
> > >   same time.
> >
> > If they completely provide H, why can't they be in the same classpath? One
> > of them will override the other. Or am I wrong here?
>
> Yes and no.
>
> I most cases, e.g. the DOM interface classes, that's ok. They won't
> conflict because they're identical.
>
> But look at the TRAX API, the TRAX classes included in Xalan call concrete
> Xalan classes in the TRAX factory classes (it has to, somehow). Another
> XSLT processor will call their own concrete classes in the TRAX. So TRAX of
> Xalan conflicts with TRAX of [fill in any other TRAX-implementing XSLT
> processor here]. The same with javax.xml in XML parsers. That's what I meant
> here.

Then it actually does not provide it right? It provides something else just
very similar.

> > > - much more complicated stuff I've forgotten to mention here
> >
> > True. Everyone that can find such a problem, please try to describe it
> > so we can deal with that too. :)
>
> Maybe we should create a checklist?

That is a good thing, yes.

> > I think the debian control file is easier to parse using simple tools.
> >  Other
> > people can convince me that I'm wrong. :)
>
> On the one hand, XML would be cool because we can demonstrate Java's
> abilities, and all helper applications like dh_java could be written in
> Java. On the other hand, you're right. Hm, I don't know yet what I'm for.

:)

> > We will have some kind of jar dependency mechanism very similar to the
> > "normal" one, right? This does not cover installation dependencies but
> > run-time dependencies...
>
> Yes. Debian's package dependencies are similar, but not similar enough to
> create classpaths from it.

True.

> > The jar dependency information file should only adress direct dependencies,
> > right?
>
> Yes. Indirect dependencies are calculated by generate_classpath.

Good.

> Regards,
> Max
>
> P.S. Ola, have you received my mail this week (maybe my local mail setup is
> broken again..)? I've finished Xalan 2.1 packages, downloadable at
> ftp://ftp.leanedit.org/ola/

Yes I got it. I'll see if I have enough time to look at it today.

I do now see that I forgot to answer your mail, sorry.

Regards,

// Ola