Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:..

When trying to run a compiled java program which is to be displayed in a
JOptionPane, I get the following error (partial listing):

--quote--

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:
   at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method

--end quote--

...and many more lines like the last line above

I have downloaded and installed jdk1.2.2 (from Sun) under Debian 2.2r3 running
on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS laptop.
My window manager is fvwm.

I am a new java student and a novice-to-intermediate linux user.

Any suggestions on what to do about this?

Thanks,
Dan Radovsky