Re: The evils of /usr/share/java/repository

Ben Burton <bburton@mail.math.okstate.edu> writes:
> Where does $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext point to /usr/share/java?  I have
> installed every JVM available for debian (I believe) and only j2sdk1.3
> comes with .../lib/ext, and that is a real directory that doesn't seem to
> point to /usr/share/java at all.  I'm not sure where you're coming from.

  You mean I made this link on all my hosts and forgot about it? Wow,
  that must have made my message confusing. Sorry about that.

  In that case, I'd like to throw some more logs into the fire and
  suggest that we make use of the extension mechanism since it has
  worked well for me for years. It certainly keeps things simple--no
  messing with scripts, CLASSPATH variables, --classpath arguments,
  nor introducing environment variables. Others mentioned that the
  other VMs don't have such a mechanism, but it seems that the spec
  requires that they should.

  My secondary idea about linking from the extension directory to the
  chosen version of a jar in /usr/share/java still stands. I've been
  linking jars for years and haven't encountered the manifest stuff
  which was previously mentioned. Guess I've been lucky and haven't
  linkied the wrong jars.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!