Re: The evils of /usr/share/java/repository

Ola Lundqvist wrote:

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 12:15:59AM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:

My proposal does not say anything about /usr/bin/java, except that
the default classpath should include jars of installed packages.
I am agnostic about the specifics of how that is done.

Note that there are no default CLASSPATH. As the (normal) debian
policy says there should be no dependency on a environment
variable. And the same goes for CLASSPATH. So the only place
to set the CLASSPATH (before running the real java vm) is in
/usr/bin/java.

But maybe I have misunderstood you?

It seems so. By "default classpath" (note the lower case) I mean the builtin
mechanism for getting whatever classes are available when no options
are specified on the command line and the user has no environment
variables set.  (If /usr/bin/java is a script that sets CLASSPATH that
is an implementation detail.)