Re: Packages that require Java 2 ?

Okay, not to throw a proverbial spanner in, but:

One point to note is that j2sdk1.3 and j2re1.3 are not yet in debian at all.
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that a package in debian can't depend on
a package outside of debian.

> This way, a user can install Sun's or IBM's JDK to /usr/local and install
> your package without breaking its dependencies. You could test if the
> JVM is Java 2 (either "java -version" or looking for
> $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/rt.jar) and print an error message if it's just JDK1.1.

If you're using /usr/bin/java you need to be careful since it may point to
some other JVM and the "java -version" outputs are not at all consistent and
sometimes don't even reflect the JDK version.  See below for sample output
from different JVMs.

As for $JAVA_HOME, one must remember that policy (10.9) dictates that you
should not depend on any particular environment variable(s) being set.  So
there should be graceful (and correct) behaviour for the case where
$JAVA_HOME is undefined.

Ben. :)

bab@espresso:~> kaffe -version
Kaffe Virtual Machine
Copyright (c) 1996-2000
Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.  All rights reserved
Engine: Just-in-time v3   Version: 1.0.6   Java Version: 1.1
bab@espresso:~> java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS, mixed mode)
bab@espresso:~> orp -version
Open Runtime Platform, version 1.0.5
bab@espresso:~> gij -version
gij (GNU libgcj) version 0.0.7

Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation.

Ben Burton
benb@acm.org  |  bab@debian.org
http://baasil.humbug.org.au/bab/
Public Key: finger bab@debian.org