Re: Proposed addition to java-common

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 01:45:06AM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:
> Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>
> > Your script punishes the Debian developer who creates a clean
> > package for a new JVM, that registers an alternative for
> > /usr/bin/java and runs without any special help.  Users should be
> > able to install that package and have it just work.
>
> Why does the script punish said Debian developer?  The first JVM it looks
> for is /usr/bin/java and default behaviour is not to provide any special
> help.  Thus if the JVM packager does as you say, this script will choose
> that JVM and work perfectly with it.  I don't see your problem.

Oh.  (Sheepishly looking in the archives for your script and
otherwise nosing around.)  Well now, I'm not sure I see who is
helped by your script (in its current form).

- You only do anything for Kaffe if it is installed in /usr, but the
  Debian package of Kaffe already has a wrapper that seems to take
  care of everything.

- Taking the interpreter from the path is questionable.  Many people
  probably have a locally installed JVM, but I think it is better
  for Debian Java programs to prefer a Debian packaged JVM by
  default.

- I really doubt there is a JVM called "chickens".

Unless there is some compelling benefit to your script _right now_,
I think it is better not to introduce it, since we will only want to
transition away later.

Note I have no objection to having a Debian wrapper script (possibly
based on yours) that is declared to be the official way for Debian
programs to launch a JVM.  What I oppose is encouraging Java program
packagers to take matters into their own hands.

Andrew