Re: org/w3c/dom duplicates in lib-dom-java and lib-openxml-java,libxerces-java!

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 11:16, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:57:13AM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> > But if they are different implementations they should not use the
> > same namespace... (see below)
>
> But they implement the same interface (DOM in this case) and the XML for
> Java standard says that the DOM interface classes have to be in the package
> org.w3c.dom - so there is no way around this.

Mmmm... how unfortunate... do you have a reference?

> > It was not my intention to seperate interface from implementation, but it
> > is not correct that two implementations use the same namespace...
>
> Yes it is if they implement the same specification.

Actually, with your persistence :) i begin to see an advantage... if using the
same namespace for same interfaces and not implementations, you get better
portability... like with different virual machines... ok.

(The thing is, this is not what i rember from the early Java years where is
was stressed that one *must* place classes in a classpath reflecting your
organisation... I guess, this led to my confusion...)

Egon