Re: Quitting debian-java

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Alexander Hvostov wrote:

> The fact that there are no Free JVMs/compilers at present is a temporary
> problem. Java is, in effect, non-free for now, but this will change when
> these projects approach completion. Java is not really a moving target as
> far as I can tell, so the free implementations _will_ catch up to Sun.

Agreed, but the Free alternatives have been catching up since 96 without
being completly usable.
The JVM specs are actually frozen, but each new JDK version brings up new
APIs that needs recoding, so I expect the free classes implementations to
be still lagging behind the IBM/Sun ones...

> > As for GNU's support for Java, it's encouraging development of free
> > alternatives to Sun/IBM's JDKs, but it's not-quite-here-yet(tm).
>
> Again, insert statement about the temporary nature of the problem here.

Theory: the problem is only temporary
Practice: it's been temporary for 5 full years :(

Cordialement,

--
 Linux : c'est free mais c'est pas grave.