Re: packaging jars vs. classes

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:59:25AM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> The point I was trying to make is that Debian may want to provide a
> standard webapp directory or path (the place where WAR files are put
> so that the servlet engine can find them).

Though not yet in main, Stefan Gybas packaged Tomcat 3.2b6 recently
for Debian. I've given it some simple tests, and it seems to work. He
decided to make /usr/share/java/webapps the place to dump war
files. The war files are then unpacked into /var/lib/tomcat/webapps
during the init.d startup for tomcat. This seems like a very
reasonable scheme and would even allow different j2ee compliant
servlet/jsp to share the same webapp repository.