Re: packaging jars vs. classes

    Per> Aaron Brashears <gila@gila.org> writes:
    >> Joe Emenaker sent a nice idea to me which the list didn't get to
    >> see. He suggested making a script which does autodetection of jar
    >> files in your /usr/share/java and sets the classpath
    >> appropriately.

    Per> Which is what you have to do anyway if you want to implement
    Per> Java 2.

    Per> http://www.javasoft.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/extensions/index.html

[...]

    Per> So I suggest the Java policy shuld define a directory for
    Per> extensions.  Note this is actually two directories: a
    Per> /usr/share directory for jar files and a /usr/lib directory
    Per> for .so files.  A Debian packaging of jdk 1.2 or 1.3 should
    Per> ideally be set up so it uses the standard Java extensions
    Per> directories.  Tweaking some shell scripts or sym links might
    Per> work.

Our Java 2 packages use a extension directory /usr/lib/j2re1.3/ext (and
/usr/lib/j2re1.3/$(ARCH)/lib).  The packages for Java3D, JAI and JMF
install into those directories.

Additionally we add /usr/share/java/repository to CLASSPATH but in
general I would prefer a strictly extension directory based approach.
It would be quite easy to add a support for a second extension
directory.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html