Free java on PDAs

Hopefully nobody will take this as an advertisement or something, since
that is certainly not the intent.

Everybody may or may not have caught the coverage on PocketLinux that has
showed up in the last few days. Well, I am one of the primary developers on
that project and it has some very interesting technology going into it. I
haven't talked too much about it because we wanted to keep a lid on it until
it was reasonably impressive. LinuxWorld was our target release and we're
pretty happy with what we've turned loose.

What we now have is essentially a port of Kaffe for the MIPS and ARM
processors that binds directly to the framebuffer on the Helio and iPAQ
platforms. Helio has officially committed to the development effort and
are giving us support on the hardware side, including some free units
for developers! This is my reason for writing.

I can turn loose some VTech Helio units to people interested in working
on Kaffe on Linux on PDAs. The units are 75Mhz, have 8M of ram, 2M of
flash ram, sound hardware and a serial port. They look like a Visor, but
are way faster. They also have backlighting.

If you have a solid Java experience, preferrably with XML and would like
to play around with one of these things then drop me an email and we'll
see if we can hook you up. If you already have an idea what you would like
to do then putting that in the email would be really helpful.

So, there you have it.

Ean Schuessler                   An odorless programmer work-a-like
Brainfood, Inc.                               Silent and motionless
--- Some or all of the above signature may be a joke