Re: two LGPL java packages that I want to distribute

On Monday 10 July 2000, at 9 h 9, the keyboard of david sims
<david@simscomputing.com> wrote:

> Of course, they both require non-free JVMs and JDKs.

As was said here, 'of course' is not obvious. You may want to check.

> So, is this an acceptable practice for Debian?

Basically, if a free package depends on something in non-free, it will be in the "contrib" section. For instance, a GPL Java program which fails to run with kaffe (or with gcj) will be in "contrib".

For details, see the many documents in <http://www.debian.org/devel/>.

(This assumes official Debian packages, if you distribute them from an unofficial source <http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/>, you can do what you want but I strongly suggest that you follow Debian policy. This is what keeps us from the evils of RedHat's "contrib", which has nothing to do with Debian's contrib.)