Re: Java development on debian ppc

On Saturday 1 July 2000, at 1 h 18,
the keyboard of John Leuner <jewel@pixie.co.za> wrote:

> > I would rephrase it: if there is no Free Java solution
> > then we should stop working with Java and start encouraging
> > people to switch to another language.
>
> Java has such massive support, how could you just drop it like that?

Do not be afraid of drastic decisions: Cobol has a much more massive support
than Java and there is no support for it in Debian (and few people complain).

Microsoft has a massive support, too and we still pretend our operating system
is better.

I see no reason why we should use Java just because Sun decreted we should.

> There are other free Java projects on the go, the Japhar VM is undergoing
> development and I am author of the kissme VM. My work is still x86 only,
> but as the JVM gets more mature I see no reason why it would be difficult
> to port to PPC.

Let's see.